History of Art Grants Program
- Supports scholarly projects that will enhance the understanding and appreciation of European art and architecture.
- Grants are awarded to non-profit institutions with 501(c) 3 status, based in the United States, including supporting foundations of European institutions.
- These are competitive grants. Please see ‘Past Grants’ and ‘Annual Reports’ for past awards and typical levels of funding and review our Grants FAQs for answers to common application questions.
- In addition to submitting printed materials, applicants must also
email a digital copy of their application to
email@example.com. This digital submission should be sent
as a single PDF document.
- Application Deadlines*: January 15, April 1, and October 1
*Please note, if the application deadline falls on a weekend, applications must be received by the previous Friday.
The History of Art program supports scholarly projects that will enhance the appreciation and understanding of European art and architecture. Grants are awarded to projects that create and disseminate specialized knowledge, including archival projects, development and dissemination of scholarly databases, documentation projects, museum exhibitions and publications, photographic campaigns, scholarly catalogues and publications, and technical and scientific studies.
Grants are also awarded for activities that permit art historians to share their expertise through international exchanges, professional meetings, conferences, symposia, consultations, the presentation of research, and other professional events.